Wood burning fire pits have a charm to them but over the years, because people need home equipment and appliances that are easy to use, time saving and of course efficient, gas fire pits have quickly overtaken wood burning fire pits.
Below is a review of some the best portable Gas Fire Pits based on the customer reviews and popularity from giant online stores.
1. Heininger 5995 Portable Propane Outdoor Fire Pit
Now, the Heininger Portable Outdoor Gas Fire Pit is a best seller and has managed to maintain a high rating over the years which speaks volumes to its quality.
It has an output of 58,000 BTUs, which is sufficient enough to keep warm during those outdoor gatherings.
Comes with a 10 foot hose and decorative lava rocks to give the fire pit a realistic look and also enhance its visual appeal.
- Measurements: 19.2 x 19.2 x 11.5 inches
- Weight: 22 pounds
What to love;
- Steel frame construction with high temperature and rust resistant coating makes this fire pit durable and capable of withstanding the elements.
- It is light in weight and therefore easy to carry around for outdoor entertainment.
- Popularly used for camping, backyards, patios, or tailgating on the go because of its compact size and lightweight nature.
- You can effortlessly roast marshmallows and hot dogs over this fire pit.
2. Outland Fire bowl Portable Propane Gas Fire Pits
The Outland Company with their range of outdoor gas fire pits is another popular fire pit brand, that has also maintained very high ratings over the years. They have 4 major, best selling propane gas fire pits; the Outland Mega Fire bowl Gas Fire Pit, The Deluxe Fire Pit, the Standard and Premium Gas Fire Pit.
These 4 fire pits have almost the same features the only major difference being in size and of course, price.
Constructed from high quality steel with protective high temperature powder coating and enamel finish they each have a heat output of 58,000 BTUs, sufficient enough to keep a small group warm.
These gas fire pits do come complete with some lava rocks for visual appeal and realistic flames.
- Deluxe- Dimensions: 18.5 x 18.5 x 10.5 inches, Weight: 23.3 pounds
- Mega- Dimensions: 24 x 24 x 13 inches, Weight: 34 pounds
- Standard Outland fire pit-Dimensions:19 x 19 x 11 inches, Weight: 22 pounds
- Premium Outland fire pit- ,Dimensions:18.5 x 18.5 x 12 inches, Weight: 24.5
What we love;
- They are durable and quality gas fire pits.
- Can be converted to natural gas with the help of their CSA approved Natural Gas Conversion Kits that are available for purchase separately.
- They are lightweight and portable most especially the the Standard Outland fire pit that weighs just 22 pounds.
- Said to produce sufficient amount of heat.
3. Camco Big Red Outdoor Gas Fire Pit
Crafted from durable steel and features an elevated fire tray this one of the portable fire pits with one of the highest advertised BTU rating of 65,000 BTU.
It comes complete with fake realistic looking log pieces for enhancing the appeal of the fire pit.
Dimensions of: 13.5 x 13.5 x 10.7 inches, 15 pounds.
What to love
- One of the highest heat output in the market
- Durable and quality construction.
- Ideal for outdoor camping and tailgating.
4. Camp Chef Redwood Port. Pro Fire Pit
Made of heavy gauge steel with decorative pine tree cut outs on the frame and nickel coated steel safety rings for enhanced portability, this is another option great for outdoor entertainment on the go.
It has a Heat output of 55,000 BTU/Hr and is fitted with a safety shutoff valve to prevent gas leakages and wastage.
Comes complete with a set of 4 extendable roasting sticks, zipper carry bag and lava rocks.
Dimensions and weight respectively of 12 x 19 x 21 inches, 32.3 pounds
What to love;
- Quality construction.
- You can comfortably do your roasting with this unit with the help of the 4 included adjustable roasting sticks .
- Perfect for any outdoor gathering including camping and tailgating.
5. Bond Mfg Aurora Portable Gas Fire Pit
It Includes a locking lid with a solid carry handle to enhance its portability, pumice stones for aesthetics and real-looking flames, and a tank seat hideaway to conceal the propane tank.
Dimensions and Weight Respectively of 18.5 x 18.5 x 14.7 inches and 20.1 pounds
What we love;
- The lid is great for protecting the burner from weather elements, dirt and debris when it’s not in use.
- The tank holder is a thoughtful addition.
- Quite sturdy and durable and can withstand being used couple of times a week.
- Lightweight and very portable
- Said to generate lots of heat
Therefore, any of the above fire pits is suitable for you if:
- You want the convenience of a gas fire pit; is hassle-free and easy to use, from start to finish. No fumbling with logs and matches just to start a simple fire.
- You don’t want messy ash residue to deal with after every fire pit session.
- You don’t want smoke chocking you and clinging to your clothes and body.
- You don’t want the risk of dangerous flying embers looming over you and ruining your fire pit experience.
- You want to be able to legally have a fire in camp grounds with bans against open flames. Any of these fire pits will allow you to have a fire in areas that have restrictions against open fires.
- You love camping, tailgating, RVing or any other outdoor party of the go. You just pack your fire pit with you and take it wherever.
- Want to create a place where friends and family can gather for outdoor entertainment. With just a few chairs and pillows, you can create a space with the perfect ambience for you and your loved ones to gather and catch up as you roast some hot dogs and marshmallows.
- If you need something to keep you warm outdoors or complement your other source of heat, such as heater. Any of these fire pits would be a great for that.
- If your patio needs some face lifting or accenting, a fire pit would be a great addition and ideal for just that purpose. They may not be as nearly perfect for this purpose as fire pit tables, but they are still going to transform the overall look of your outdoor space. Do not forget, you can substitute the lava rocks, ceramic logs or vermiculite filler with fire glass for a much more appealing and elegant look, or even mix the two. Just remember though, that there can be no roasting with fire glass as your fire pit filler option.
These fire pits are safe to use on a deck including a wooden deck or covered patio.
Despite the fact that these portable gas fire pits do not present the danger of flying embers, it’s important to use a non-combustible material beneath your fire pit if your deck cannot withstand high temperatures and you value it. This is because, due to the low profile nature of these fire pits and the quality of material used in construction, the base can get very hot, hot enough to damage your deck or grass if there is no barrier between the fire pit base and your floor surface.
Such things as concrete pavers or bricks will work great in protecting your deck but you also have to make sure your fire pit is stable and not in the risk of tipping over.
Even better, is using fire pit mats and deck protectors/grass shields specifically designed for just this purpose. They are 100% efficient and some are capable of withstanding temperatures as high as 1,500 degrees F.
What’s more the best quality ones are durable and affordable too. With less than $65 you can find a good one.
Worth mentioning also is that for your gas fire pit to last for years, you must take measures to properly care and maintain it and that includes not leaving your fire pit exposed to the weather elements. If possible, always store your gas fire pit indoors or at the very least keep it under a covered patio when not in use.
And because moisture can still get to it either way, always ensure it covered with a weather proof protective cover , indoors or outdoors when not in use. Some of the fire pits on this list come with one but should you buy one that doesn’t, it will be in your fire pit’s best interest and yours to invest in one.
There is no doubt that getting a portable Gas Fire Pit is the way to go if ease of use and efficiency are important factors for you. The above list should help point you in right direction.