Though there are a number of modern ways of setting up a campfire at home these days, the good old wood burning fire pit is still a favorite for most people. There is something unique about the sound, smell, and heat you get from a wood burning fire pit that you can’t get from other types of fire pits which is why it is still the top choice for many.
In addition, wood burning fire pits are known to be the best in producing heat so if you’re looking for a great fire pit to keep you warm, during those cold nights, a wood burning fire pit would be a great choice.
As you go shopping for a wood burning fire pit here are some important features to look out for:
Factors to consider when buying a wood burning fire pit;
- Build material: Wood burning fire pits are constructed using such metals as copper, iron, stainless steel or Carbon steel, all of which offer different levels of durability, with steel no doubt, being the most widely used and the most affordable choice for most people. The type of material used will therefore determine the cost of the fire pit, with prices ranging from as low as $50 for the cheaply made, thin metal fire pits to $150 for the quality fire pits constructed using superior quality heavy duty metals. So the quality of metal used and the finishing used as well will contribute to how durable your fire pit will be. At the end of the day you will get what you pay for.
- Size of the bowl: The diameter and the depth of the bowl as is another important criteria as it determines how much wood your fire pit is likely to hold. The bigger the size, the more the wood which means more heat and more burn time without having to keep adding wood to keep the fire burning.
- Spark screen included: Wood burning fire pits inevitably bring with them embers which is one of the major disadvantages of wood burning fire pits over other types of fire pits. This is why a spark screen is important and should always be used with your fire it to keep the embers contained and prevent damage to property or injury, thus allowing you to safely enjoy the fire.
- Ventilation holes: Good ventilation can be an important feature for a wood burning fire pit. When buying a wood burning fire it, consider going for one with ventilation holes as these are useful in facilitating airflow within the fire pit to ensure a consistent fires.
Must Have Fire Pit Accessory;
Like mentioned earlier, wood burning fire pits burn hot and while this is great for fire pit enjoyment, this heat can be very damaging to your deck or precious lawn. The heat that radiates from beneath a fire pit can be anywhere between 1,000 to 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit. That is plenty of heat that can kill your grass and damage your deck.
So to prevent the burnt patches on your lawn, or your deck from getting burn spots, we recommend you take measures to protect the surface under your fire pit by insulating it from direct heat contact. You can do this by using a protective heat resistant fire pit mat specifically designed for this purpose. These fire pit mats are designed with heat resistant materials to ensure optimal safety and protection underneath your fire pit by acting as barrier against extreme heat generated by your fire pit. Read more on here.
Below we review some of the best wood burning fire pits available in the market.
Best Wood Burning Fire Pits
Best Overall: Landmann Big Sky Fire Pit, Wildlife
Whether it’s tailgating, outdoor camping or a simple evening on the patio with your family the Landmann Big Sky fire pit goes everywhere and fits in without stress. This Attractive wood burning outdoor fire pit is both wide enough for effective distribution of heat and is also deep to keep the fire going for a very long time. Measuring 23-1/2 inches in diameter, it also comes with a full sized cooking grate and has a handle that makes it easy to carry around.
This fire pit comes in either the traditional black or Georgia Clay color which not only gives it a rustic look. Both colors are weather proofed to protect against damage from corrosion by the elements. Also includes a spark screen which protects against flying embers, a protective weather cover and a long poker for kindling the wood safely. To top it all, it is designed with cut-outs that glow when burning adding the perfect ambiance to your evening.
- One of the most popular fire pits on Amazon.
- Made from superior quality cold-rolled steel.
- Sturdy and durable fire pit crafted using high quality steel and weather proof painting.
- Looks great especially with a fire as it features wildlife cutouts on the shell. Cut outs also help with ventilation.
- Deep enough to hold a substantial amount of wood.
- This wood burning fire it offers the ultimate value for money as it comes complete with fire pit accessories including a spark screen cooking grate, poker and fire pit cover.
- In addition to being light weight, it also features a full-diameter ring handle for added convenience when carrying it.
Catalina Creations 29″ Heavy Duty Cast Iron Fire Pit
This beautifully designed, 29 inches outdoor wood burning fire pit is the perfect accessory to get your cozy evening outdoor started. Made from very thick cast iron steel and a rustic bronze colored finish, this heavy duty fire pit is not only heat resistant but it has also been designed to withstand the elements.
It is also stylishly designed with moon and star-shaped cutouts for added beauty and along with its long grates ensures proper airflow to keep the logs burning for a long time. This fire pit also comes with a wire mesh spark screen for added safety around the fire and a tool for lifting the screen without putting you in danger of being burnt. It is safety, style, and function combined into one.
- Star and moon cutouts make this not only a decorative ice of outdoor decor but also help with airflow within the fire pit for a consistent burn time.
- Constructed from quality heavy duty cast iron.
- Its construction ensures durability and longterm usage.
- Deep enough to hold quite a sufficient amount of wood.
- Includes a mesh spark screen to keep the embers from flying out of the fire pit.
Landmann 23-1/2-Inch Savannah Garden Light Fire Pit
This portable 23-1/2 inches painted wood burning fire bowl has a strong and sturdy build and is designed to be easy to assemble and use. It is also made to be durable and deliver warmth for a very long time without rusting under the elements.
It comes with a spark screen for added protection and a poker that comes in handy for adjusting your logs in the fire and for lifting the lid without getting burnt. This wide fire bowl provides you with a 360-degree view of the fire and distributes the heat in all directions as well so that everyone around the pit can enjoy the warmth. In addition, it also has wide decorative cut-outs that help to ensure ventilation to the burning logs and at the same time delivers a beautiful ambiance, and the perfect spark you need for the evening by the fire.
- Cut out on the side provide great views of the fire while also facilitating sufficient airflow within the fire pit.
- Constructed using superior quality steel.
- It’s a sturdy and durable fire pit exceed to last with proper care.
- Deep enough a substantial amount of wood.
- Comes with a mesh screen for containing the embers and a fire poker.
CobraCo SH101 Hand Hammered 100% Copper Fire Pit
This freestanding wood burning fire pit is a lovely and effective way to add some warmth to your patio or garden for a perfect evening outdoor. With a strong and sturdy metal construction, and an attractive contemporary design this wood burning fire pit is not only lasting but a great addition to most patios and outdoor living spaces. It is built to supply maximum heat fire pit as it features an extra deep tub in order to supply long lasting fires for a long time without needing to keeping adding more wood logs.
Built with safety in mind, it has a sturdy, contemporary metal stand that keeps the bowl elevated away from your wooden deck, patio or any surface you are using it. It also has a heavy duty mesh screen cover as well as a vinyl cover with an elastic band that keeps the pit covered and prevents rains and debris away.
The Cobraco fire pit is hand hammered from copper and has been left uncoated to give it a rustic look that adds an aesthetic beauty to your outdoor campfire setting by blending in with your other outdoor features without looking grotesque.
- Perfect for large fires given its large size and deep fire bowl.
- Constructed using high quality copper for durability.
- Unique rustic look perfect for adding charm and style to your outdoor living area.
- Includes a duty screen cover and protective vinyl cover to protect against dirt and weather elements.
Titan 40″ Solid 100% Copper Fire Pit Bowl
This top quality 40” fire pit is a lovely addition to your deck, patio or the backyard. It comes with a ¼ inch thick steel grate and can take wood logs up to 2” long. The bowl is made is from heavy duty solid copper which gives it added durability and makes it possible to withstand years of rigorous use with care in any and every type of weather without rusting. Its base is also powder coated which helps to keep it from corroding with use.
The 8” deep bowl has grates which help to ventilate the fire and ensures that the logs continue burning for long and supplies you uninterrupted heat for your outdoor fun. It includes a fire poker for kindling the fire
- Constructed using heavy duty gauge 100% Solid Copper.
- Expected to last years with the right care and maintenance.
- The steel grate provides excellent ventilation to keep the fire going for a long time.
Endless Summer, Bronze Crossweave Firebowl Fire Pit
This lovely deep drawn bowl fire pit is the stylish way to extend the warmth of summer into any season of the year. With a 1.2 mm thick steel construction, this fire pit is among the thickest you will ever find in the market.
Its deep drawn bowl makes it perfect for burning large fire and delivering maximum heat to your outdoor gathering, while its cross weave design not only delivers a lovely ambiance but also ensures effective airflow that keeps the wood burning for a long time. Its geometric design and attractive bronze finish also blends in perfectly with your outdoor décor. This fire pit also comes with a log grate and mesh spark guard for added safety.
- Deep enough for large fires.
- Heavy duty steel construction for durability.
- Crossweave pattern on the steel for great views of the fire and ventilation within the fire pit.
- Features a full-diameter ring handle for added convenience when moving it from place to place.
- Includes a poker for fire kindling, a log grate for holding the wood while aiding in ventilation and lifting the mesh spark screen which is also included.
Landmann Barrone Fire Pit
This large, contemporary styled 26” fire pit from Landmann is deep and wide and has a real campfire feel to it. It provides a 360-degree view of the fire and an excellent distribution of heat that reaches everyone at the and features a decorative crosshatch design that delivers the perfect night-time ambiance.
This fire pit is designed to be strong and sturdy and built with safety in mind. It comes with four legs that provide durable support and stability to the fire bowl. The fire pit also has a cover that keeps it protected from the elements and spark screen that helps to keep the embers contained in the bowl at all times.
- Uniquely designed.
- Large design for large fires.
- Well ventilated given the built in grate and crosshatch design on the shell that also allows for great views of the fire.
- Comes complete with a wood grated for added ventilation while holding the wood, a poker and a mesh screen.
Amazon Basics 34-Inch Natural Stone Fire Pit with Copper Accents
This lovely fire pit perfectly combines aesthetic beauty with durable construction and long-term functionality. It has a wide 22” fire bowl constructed from durable steel and also features a handcrafted mantel made from natural stone, complete with lovely diamond-shaped accents that are made from copper.
This Fire pit has an ornate stand with flared legs that give it an attractive look and a rustic charm that complements your outdoor décor perfectly. The legs are stabilized for easy and stable placement anywhere of your choice. And it comes with a dome-shaped screen which helps to keep unruly embers in check while the fire burns.
- Would make for an attractive piece of outdoor decor.
- Durable with the proper care and maintenance.
- The extra wide rim edges provide an extra table area where you can place your drinks and snacks.
- A log grate, fire tool and fire screen are included in the purchase.
Global Outdoors 34-in Adjustable Leg Square Slate Top Fire Pit
This wood burning fore pit’s attractive slate top ledge is not only durable, but also stands out as a statement decor. For added functionality it has extra wide ledges that provide an extra serving space to place your drinks and snacks while you enjoy the warmth of the fire.
It comes with a deep bowl that makes it possible to build larger fires and get some extra warmth which is perfectly distributed through its vent panels to everyone around. One of the major standout features of this fire pits is its adjustable legs which can be raised and lowered according to your preference and makes it easy to stabilize the pit easily while keeping your garden, patio or deck surface protected. It also comes with a poker that makes it easy to tend the fire and a mesh screen and cover that protects the fire pit from damage by the elements.
- This fire pit can also be used as a table for added functionality.
- Expected to last with proper care.
- Includes fire screen, weatherproof protective cover, wood grate and poker tool.
Sunnydaze 42 Inch Large Fire Pit
This 42-inch wide fire pit is all you need in a wood burning fire pit and more. It has a unique contemporary design and an artistic charm that complements your outdoor décor and fits into any veranda, patio or garden perfectly.
Made from 0.75mm thick steel material with a rustic patina colored paint, this fire pit designed to be heat resistant and is also highly durable and suitable for use in all types of weather. The decorative moon and star cut out to does more than just help you get a lovely ambiance from the fire; It ensures even distribution of heat and ventilation to keep the fire going. There is also a spark screen included as well as a poker for tending the fire safely.
- Large and prefect for large fires.
- Constructed using high quality steel for durability.
- Decorative star and moon cutouts for great views and ventilation.
- For added convenience when moving it, the fire pit comes with a full-diameter ring handle to make it easier to carry.
- Comes complete with a spark screen, built-in grate to hold wood and allow free movement of air within the fire pit and firewood poker.
While all the above fire pits are durable, no fire pit in the market can withstand prolonged poor maintenance and neglect. Not taking the proper measures to protect your fire pit from weather elements will lead to its rapid deterioration in looks and overall performance, no matter the quality of construction.
To best preserve the life of your wood burning fire pit, always ensure you never leave your fire pit outdoors exposed to the weather elements without a protective all-weather. At all times when the fire pit is not in use, a cover should always be used.