While it’s totally okay to use a grill including a charcoal grill on a wooden deck, there are always concerns of getting the deck dirty and stained or worse, burnt. These are real concerns but not a reason for you not to enjoy outdoor cooking on your deck. Splatters are a huge problem when grilling on the deck but with the right measures, you can be able to safely grill on your wooden deck. One of these measures involves the use of an under grill deck protector.
An under grill deck protector is a mat that is placed beneath the grill to help protect the deck from splatters as you cook your food. They are usually heat-resistant therefore even act as a barrier against excess heat to your deck while also protecting your wood deck from grease and food splatters.
Therefore, an under grill deck protector or grill splatter mat is something that should be considered if splatters are a big concern for you. They come in various sizes for different grill sizes so finding a suitable match shouldn’t be a problem. Like everything else, they come in different qualities too, so when you’re shopping keep that in mind. Also note that most of these under grill deck protectors are fire resistant, not fire proof, meaning they just protect from excess heat but will get damaged when in contact with fire.
Here are some of the best grill splatter mats
- It is both fire resistant and fire proof meaning it won’t burn when in contact with embers.
- It is made from fiberglass with a fiberlock Silicone coating which makes it fireproof.
- Has 2,000 degrees F melting temperature therefore fire resistant enough to adequately protect your deck from thermal damage.
- Super easy to clean with just soap and water.
- Non skid backing to prevent skidding.
- It can be rolled up and stored in the reusable tube it was delivered in after use.
- Measurements: 30 inch wide by a 40 inch long. There are more sizes and another color available.
Premium Grill Mat by Montana Grilling Gear
- This is made of PVC fabric blend that absorbs and collects liquids preventing grease from getting tracked around your deck or patio as well as reduces the risk of slipping on spills.
- Has a non skid and leak-proof backing for any surface.
- Easy to clean by simply spraying it down with a hose. You could also hand wash with warm soapy water.
- Dimensions; 30″ by 48″
DiversiTech The Ultra Grill Mat
- This fire resistant Ultra Grill Mat has one of the highest rated surface protection from heat of up to 600 Degree Fahrenheit.
- Easy to clean
- Dimensions; 48 x 30.
The Original Grill Pad
- It is made from an exclusive fiber cement material making for durability.
- Easy clean under grill deck protector requires no scrubbing just mild soap and water. This is because the fiber cement material causes grease and other spills to pool at the top for easy removal.
- The “Original” Grill Pad will not rust, melt or degrade in sunlight.
- It is available in round, rectangle and oval shapes.
- Also available four unique colors: earth-tone brown, black, gray, and brick.
- It does not have a rubber backing material so it will not stick to the composite deck surface.
Tuffy Reversible BBQ Grill Pad
- It is heat resistant
- Tuffy mats are designed and manufactured here in the United States using over 70% recycled rubber.
- Clean up is very easy with soap and warm water.
- Features a ribbed bottom that helps to prevent mold and mildew.
Using a grill on your deck or patio leaves it vulnerable to unsightly oil and grease stains not to mention dangerous embers for charcoal grill. Using an under grill deck protector is an effective way to keep your deck safe from stains and damage from embers.