Deck Protector- Fire Pit Heat Shield
Most fire pit, generate temperatures of at least 1000 degrees F while the surface of composite decks starts degrading and even melting at temperatures of from 250 degrees F. So for this reason, is absolutely necessary to shield your floor surfaces, composite decks and grass from the extreme temperatures generated by fire pits by use of a deck protector. This way you will enjoy the warmth from your fire pit without having to worry about extreme temperatures ruining your precious deck.
Deck protectors work by effectively deflecting heat and are made from a variety of materials that can withstand temperatures of up to 1400 degrees F.
So how do deck protectors work as fire pit heat shields?
Deck protectors work by balancing elements that relate to heat transfer and heat insulation. For heat transfer, some fire pit defenders come with a shiny metal such as powder coated steel frame or aluminum that will reflect the heat. For insulation, multilayered metals with air spaces or volcanic rock fiber effectively act as a blockage.
Have you ever left your deck protector on your deck for some time and after a while started noticing stains on your deck? Well, some deck protectors come with drilled with holes on the frame for drainage and to keep moisture from accumulating. They also feature legs to keep the frame off of the deck which will allow air to flow between the deck and the frame for better cooling of the deck and also ensure no mildew or stains form on the deck.
The best heat shield deck protectors have the following features:
- Can withstand high amounts of temperatures, at least 1200 degrees F.
- Is weather resistant
- Is made of sturdy material that will provide a strong base for the fire pit.
- Is well ventilated to allow air flow and prevent moisture from accumulating
- Is fire proof in case of flying embers.
Deck Protector Top picks
Fire Pit Pad Deck Protector By Newtex
- Of all the fire pit pad, deck protectors in the market, this one is the cheapest and most affordable, retailing under $50. There is however not much information on this product, maybe because it is relatively new.
- This protective fire pit heat shields features a Z-Flex Aluminization that protects your patio floor surface or grass by reflecting heat.
- It also features Z-Block technology, the same technology used in military equipment and air-crafts to protect against the risks associated with fire and heat.
- It comes in 2 sizes: 16″ diameter and 24″ diameter heat shield.
- When using this fire pit heat shield, ensure the reflective silver side of the fire pit mat is facing up towards the fire pit.
- Do not bend or fold this fire pit pad if you want it to last. Also, do not expose it to moisture.
- This fire pit heat shield is not designed for direct contact with the bottom of your fire pit or grill. Ensure there is at least 1 inch of space in between the fire pit and the fire pit pad.
- It is designed and manufactured in the USA.
Deck Defender & Grass Guard – Fire Pit Heat Shield
- Fire pit heat shield lets you safely operate wood burning fire pits on your deck, patio or lawn because it’s designed to withstand high temperatures and protect surfaces from potential heat damage.
- Aluminum metal construction powder coated by shiny steel for improved appearance.
- Size 26″ x 26″ is suitable for standard fire pits of between 18 to 36 inches.
- This deck protector is 100% fire-proof.
Deck Protect Fire Pit Pad And Rack Combo
- This Deck Protect has been tested and will withstand 1,400 degrees F for an extended period of time without damage.
- Layered with carbon filler and woven with volcanic rock fibers to ensure it can withstand all weather elements including moisture.
- The rack is made from 100%heavy grade aluminum which is durable and will not change color.
- Completely fireproof. More on how this fire pit pad works you can read HERE.
- Square in shape and available in 5 sizes, 12″, 16″, 24″, 30″and 36″.
There are several factors that will affect the intensity of the heat reaching the surface of your deck or grass, such as the size of the fire pit and intensity of heat in the fire pit, burn time, and height of the fire pit. The damage to the surface underneath the fire pit may be affected considerably or not but with a that won’t matter. You will be able to enjoy a cool evening outdoors without having concerns about damaging your deck, patio or lawn.